StoneWolf

Redemption Ark
Alastair Reynolds
Progress: 35/694 pages

The Lost Ark of the Covenant

The Lost Ark of the Covenant: The Remarkable Quest for the Legendary Ark - Tudor Parfitt

Synopsis: A Welsh archaeologist spends 20 years searching for a legendary Jewish artifact after which he writes a book and styles himself as a British Indiana Jones.

I initially picked up this book as I have a long time interest in all things esoteric and eschatological. In spite of not being a Christian at all I find Bible mysteries and secrets fascinating, so it was with a good deal of interest I started this book.

Initially, I didn't care for it as much as I had hoped. Its nonfiction alright, but Parfitt presents the book as a novel, a chronicle of his adventure to understand and find this lost relic. I would have prefered less adventure quest and more research.

Its slow for a good two thirds of the book. Parfitt spends most of his time talking about his interpretation of the ark, meeting with various contacts and attempting to narrow down his list of leads.

Somewhere around two thirds of the way through the book gets really interesting, however. Parfitt radically re-interprets what the ark actually is, follows a trail to some fascinatingly unlikely places, and really gets going. It was a pretty good page turner when it did get going, but prior to that it felt really slow.

General rating: 3 1/2